to the Council of Provincial Associations of Psychologists
2002-2003 Executive Committee Membership
President Richard Braha, PhD
Past President Pam Dixon, MSc
Secretary Debra Garland, MA
Treasurer/MaL Gwen Sterns, MSc
Student Affiliate Shana Nichols, BSc
Office Manager Colin Allin
Full Members (all categories) 222
Affiliate Members (all categories) 6
Student Members (All categories) 23
Increase since January 2002 29
Administrative restructuring, a primary focus of the current
Executive Committee, has been progressing through a number of stages:
- The hiring of a part-time professional accountant who has provided
guidance in bringing the financial reporting system in line with
standard accounting practices (February 2001).
- Acquisition of permanent office space in downtown Halifax (completed
- Reorganization of staff, from two very part-time contract positions
to one part-time employee position of Office Manager. The office
is now staffed three days/week, with office hours from 10am-6pm
to better meet the needs of members and the public (completed
- Upgrading of computer and software resources (in progress).
- Review and updating of administrative policies and job descriptions
for staff and volunteer committees (in progress).
- Anti-Violence Youth Forum: additional events are in the planning
stages and the committee is developing liaisons with other organizations
working in this area
- Legislative Network: The Network database is being expanded
by the addition of a section on the APNS membership renewal form
requesting that psychologists contribute the names of their MLAs
and provincial ridings, and indicate their interest in joining
the lobbying effort.
- Psychology Infomercials: The committee is eagerly awaiting
news about the status of their funding request in order to proceed
with this project.
- Romanow Commission Brief: The Advocacy Committee=s Chair, David
Pilon, was a major contributor to the association=s submission
which will be added to the APNS website in the near future.
- Continuing Education: The School Psychology Committee organized
two successful educational programs so far this year, a WIAT-II
workshop in March 2002, and a child psychology program for the
36th annual APNS Convention in May. The latter was in conjunction
with the Convention Committee, which also produced programs with
adult and professional topics during the two-day event. A new
CE committee has been formed and we anticipate exciting offerings
from these enthusiastic volunteers over the next few years.
- The APNS website, The NS Psychologist, and the Private Practice
Directory, which is available both in print and on the website,
will benefit from the artistic talents of our new Office Manager,
Colin Allin, who comes to us with a background in film production
and promotion. Assistance to the Advocacy Committee has also been
identified as one of Colin's priority activities.
CPAP Representative Change
Susan Hartley has completed her term as CPAP representative
after three years of fine service. Susan was made a Fellow of the
association at the annual Convention in May in acknowledgement of
her many contributions to APNS over the past few years. I am delighted
to serve as her successor and look forward to participating in the
exciting and challenging work of the committee.
Gwen Sterns, MSc
APNS Representative to CPAP
Back to Main CPAP Reports Page